Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Sahananda (Jon)
I have downloaded Rexx for Android (silverheels edition) to my phone from
https://github.com/Jaxo/yaxx
and am impressed with the ease of installation and the samples.
I would like to develop a simple data entry form using the android keyboards.

I see a tutorial to create such a thing with eclipse and the Android SDK at
http://mobile.tutsplus.com/tutorials/android/android-sdk-creating-forms/

At this point I have not created a single character of code.

Would the way to go be to create the data entry form using the SDK, register it for intents and call it from my rexx script as seen in the "android system test" example or could the edittext, button and other controls be created and monitored from the rexxoid script?

thanks
Jon

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Pierre G. Richard
Hello Jon.
I have released a new version of rexxoid (branch import_feature).
Send me mail if you want me to add you on my Rexx geeks list.

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Felix
I installed version 3 of Rexxoid on a cheap 8" no-name tablet running Android 4.1.2

Running REXXCPS 2.2 gets about 300k clauses per sec but on re-running this script
multiple times the performance decreases on each run.

interestingly REXXCPS reports the rexx version as  REXX - Jaxo - 1.277 4.04 3 Aug 2013
no doubt Pierre will adjust this in the next update :)

Rexxoid does not allow command line arguments which is a bit of a problem for me
but now allows user written scripts to be 'imported' from the 'download'  folder.

Another thing I'd like to see is zoom in/out to enlarge the text and output - it looks tiny to me on my tablet.

In summary I'm very happy to have rexx on my tablet and I hope Pierre keeps working on it
to make it better and better

cheers

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Pierre G. Richard
I know your question was targeted at REXXOID, but I found out that the latest revision of YAXX/REXX didn't take into account arguments.  It's not even a bug : obviously, the core libraries handles ARGS since a decade!

It's a stupid omission and will be fixed in the next to come release (probably Monday)

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Felix

Hi Pierre,
That's great news-looking forward to the update
keep up the great work
regards,
Felix

http://rexx-language-association-forum.44760.x6.nabble.com/Exploring-Android-programming-with-Rexxoid-tp830p1840.html
To unsubscribe from Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid, click here.
NAML

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Felix

Hey Pierre,
How's it going?
I noticed that the error message text is switched off - it only delivers the message number.
Also please implement zoom in/out - the text are very tiny on my tablet.

NAML

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Pierre G. Richard
Sorry for the time it takes... I have found lot of little nits to fix (and now fixeable, with the latest versions of Android) .
Many little things taking time.
- got rid of the 3 seconds delay when REXX starts (the REXX Speaker had to be a Service, this one was annoying me since long but took me 2 days to find/fix)
- made it fully re-entrant so that xyz.rexx can be called from abc.rexx in a "natural way" (no ADDRESS, even easier than under TSO) -> this is related to your request for ARGS -- NOT YET FINISHED
- ARGS now goes thru (Android has no command line, but REXX does via external)
- "speaker:" speaks any language (it's an opaque URI, this change probably due to my disgusting US accent, I didn't use STREAM which I consider a precursor of URI)
- packaging: version naming, will be on Google Play
- implicitly start REXX from tapping a "????.rexx" file (this was already in Horseshoe)
- made it work on Linux and Windouze (already in Horseshoe)

What's next?
Allow me a couple of days more to finish it a good level of quality.
I may need some tech writing...
Guinea pigs (for all the ones that read this mail) are welcome

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Felix

Hi Pierre,

I haven't heard from you in a while?

I would normally be using your Rexxoid but it's very painful on the eyes.
The text looks like 2 or 3 point and I can't zoom it up.
Please fix this- its a very big problem for me, and I'm sure for others.

NAML

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Pierre G. Richard
Hello Felix.
Try this: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.jaxo.android.rexx
Make sure it is Emerald b2 (not Emerald b1)
Let us know how it went!

Pierre/

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Felix

Hi Pierre,
I tried 3 times - nothing there?

On 13/08/2014 6:18 PM, "Pierre G. Richard [via Rexx Language Association Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Felix.
Try this: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.jaxo.android.rexx
Make sure it is Emerald b2 (not Emerald b1)
Let us know how it went!

Pierre/

http://rexx-language-association-forum.44760.x6.nabble.com/Exploring-Android-programming-with-Rexxoid-tp830p1922.html
To unsubscribe from Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid, click here.
NAML

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Pierre G. Richard
Did you register to the comp.lang.rexx Google Group?

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

Felix

What's the url to register?

On 13/08/2014 6:32 PM, "Pierre G. Richard [via Rexx Language Association Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did you register to the comp.lang.rexx Google Group?

http://rexx-language-association-forum.44760.x6.nabble.com/Exploring-Android-programming-with-Rexxoid-tp830p1924.html
To unsubscribe from Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid, click here.
NAML

Re: Exploring Android programming with Rexxoid

OlegAney
Hello!

I live in Russia, Smolensk. I am a school teacher.

I've been using Rexx on Linux for half a year already mainly for preparing school reports – calculating students' progression averages. A few days ago I installed Rexxoid to handle basic and standard Rexx. The problem is that I do not know how to start Android applications from my Rexx scripts, for example, to launch Firefox browser, or just open a file, etc.

What should I do to fix it? Please Help!

Oleg