RexxRunner / Rexx Regina "invalid character"

RexxRunner / Rexx Regina "invalid character"

Connor
I've just downloaded RexxRunner, it fires up with a window with three panels, one for arguments, one for the program, and one for output.   This might suit my purpose well (want to do some simple processing of files where classic rexx instructions would be useful).

with the following line:
consonants = ‘bcdfghjklmnpqrstvwxyz’

I get the error message:
Error 13.1: Invalid character in program "('e2'X)"

I moved the line in the program to ensure it really is this line where the problem lies.   I replaced double quotes with single quotes, just in case.   I also carefully retyped the line, just incase I had somehow really got a hidden a with accent in the original.   All to no avail.

What is the problem?

Re: RexxRunner / Rexx Regina "invalid character"

Chip Davis
Administrator
Just a hunch, Connor:  Try swapping the first two characters in the
consonants string.

You may have confused the interpreter into thinking your consonants
string was a binary literal.  Can't prove it from here, but it may
have seen the quote-b and tried to convert what was in front of it
into a binary string.  Changing quotes wouldn't have affected it.

-Chip-

http://rexx-language-association-forum.44760.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>