Rexxoid - Rexx for Android

Fr4nk
Hello,

I'm new here at this forum. I come for OS/2 and eComstation and I'm a developer of various free and open source Rexx programms for OS2 and eCs (have a look at http://www.subsys.de)

Thanks for the announcement of Rexxoid.

Unlike it has been anncounced, Rexxoid is not available at Google Play Store yet. If anyone is interested - you may find it here:

https://raw.github.com/Jaxo/yaxx/master/Rexxoid.apk

Installation is pretty easy and works great.

Unfortunately is is completely undocumented. Some minor informations I found here

http://www.rexxla.org/events/2011/presentations/PierreRichardRexxSympo2011.pdf

This includes basic information about how to launch external Android / Linux-style commands from Rexx, and for instance how to use the speaker as output device.

What I really miss is a documentation about all platform specific things.

For instance its is not possible for me to write into a text file using charout. While charout to the speaker works fine (a human voice reads the text then - very funny) i can't charout on my sdcard. I'm not sure if this is a problem with a special syntax for output path (I tried loads of variations) , or if this feature has not been enabled yet, or maybe just about some missing write rights for the app.

If someone could give me an example for a working charout to a file - TIA!

And if I may a suggestion - in case anyone is working on the source code and want so do some improvements - it would be really nice if Rexx scripts could be launched from anywhere and not only from the Script Gallery. For instance if one drops a Rexx script on Desktop so he could run it just by clicking the Script. So the user can handle it in object oriented way, instead of running the Gallery browser, picking a script, open it and then hit the run button. This would be great to use Rexxoid for small apps.

regards
Fr4nk

Re: Rexxoid - Rexx for Android

Pierre G. Richard
Hello Frank.
I just released a new version on github.
Let me add you to my REXX geek list.

Re: Rexxoid - Rexx for Android

Pierre G. Richard
Rexxoid IO underneath makes use of URI's as defined in RFC 2396. This approach inherited from the 2002 PalmOS version (see here: http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/Jaxo/yaxx/blob/import_feature/docs/palmos/urlio.html)

With an enough flexible syntax, URI schemes are the best way to adapt REXX to the several OS conventions for IO, as well as the several means for realizing data input or output.  The latter are not only sequential files, but also consoles, databases, sockets (internet or other), clipboard, microphones or speakers, etc.

Of course, for each OS, one has to write the appropriate interface: it's a programmer task and you might feel to help.

YAXX encapsulates the gory details in a "SchemeHandler" class.  Specific scheme handlers are registered when Rexx starts, creating early the "SystemContext" pertinent to each OS.

For example, in  yaxx/androidlib, JRexx.cpp does:
   SystemContext context(
      android_system,
      0, // "file://"
      SpeakerSchemeHandler(env, speaker)
   );

while "SpeakerSchemeHandler" handles a spoken output.

In the above, you may have noticed that "file" isn't implemented :-(  No technical reasons for this, except that I didn't find the time to do it (and file is a bit tedious to implement).  In PalmOS (palmiolib) I implemented about 10 different IO handlers: database, beamer, ...  In year 2002, time wasn't such a scarce resource.

If time permits, I may add "file:///".  No promesses, tho.

Re: Rexxoid - Rexx for Android

Fr4nk
Hi Pierre,

great, thanks - ill check it out.

regards
Frank

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:26:30 -0700 (PDT) Pierre G. Richard [via Rexx
Language Association Forum] wrote:

>Hello Frank.
>I just released a new version on github.
>Let me add you to my REXX geek list.

Comics & Graphics
Comicbuchhandlung
Prenzlauer Allee 46
10405 Berlin

Fon: 030-66408157
eMail:
[hidden email]

Öffnungszeiten
Di-Fr 11-19 Uhr - Samstag 11-16 Uhr - Montags geschlossen

http://www.bluetoons.de

Re: Rexxoid - Rexx for Android

Pierre G. Richard
Please send me your real email.  Mine is
p g r ( a t ) j a x o (d o t) com

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Fr4nk [via Rexx Language Association Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Pierre,

great, thanks - ill check it out.

regards
Frank

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:26:30 -0700 (PDT) Pierre G. Richard [via Rexx
Language Association Forum] wrote:

>Hello Frank.
>I just released a new version on github.
>Let me add you to my REXX geek list.

Comics & Graphics
Comicbuchhandlung
Prenzlauer Allee 46
10405 Berlin

Fon: 030-66408157
eMail: [hidden email]

Öffnungszeiten
Di-Fr 11-19 Uhr - Samstag 11-16 Uhr - Montags geschlossen

http://www.bluetoons.de

http://rexx-language-association-forum.44760.x6.nabble.com/Rexxoid-Rexx-for-Android-tp1096p1793.html
To unsubscribe from Rexxoid - Rexx for Android, click here.
NAML

Re: Rexxoid - Rexx for Android

Fr4nk
Hey, you can use [hidden email]

Saved yours.

regards
Frank
"Pierre G. Richard [via Rexx Language Association Forum]" <[hidden email]> hat am 17. Juli 2014 um 08:56 geschrieben:

http://rexx-language-association-forum.44760.x6.nabble.com/Rexxoid-Rexx-for-Android-tp1096p1794.html
To unsubscribe from Rexxoid - Rexx for Android, click here.
NAML

Re: Rexxoid - Rexx for Android

Pierre G. Richard
Difficult to add to my list (and I don't want to think even 1 tenth of second about it).
Frank(ly)l, I don't care.

http://rexx-language-association-forum.44760.x6.nabble.com/Rexxoid-Rexx-for-Android-tp1096p1795.html