Z/OS System REXX / SYSREXX

Chip Davis
Administrator
Does anyone know if SYSREXX is using the TSO REXX processor?  There doesn't seem to be a separate System REXX reference guide.  The most information I can find on it is from the Authorized Assembler Services Guide.

Thanks,

-Chip-

Re: Z/OS System REXX / SYSREXX

Rene Jansen
Administrator
Chip,

I am sure you know SysrexxSymposium2010.ppt

In my understanding AXR is running as a subsystem that links into existing Rexx modules. My clue for this is "
§We restrict the number of commands that Sysrexx officially supports because the Dynamic TSO environment does not set up all the features of the Terminal Monitor Program (TMP)
"
It uses the Rexx Library (or Alternate Library) to execute compiled Rexx. Reading the AXREXX macro itself might yield additional clues. If we can formulate some questions this looks like an excellent topic for the next symposium.

René.

On 7 feb. 2013, at 07:20, Chip Davis [via Rexx Language Association Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does anyone know if SYSREXX is using the TSO REXX processor?  There doesn't seem to be a separate System REXX reference guide.  The most information I can find on it is from the Authorized Assembler Services Guide.

Thanks,

-Chip-

http://rexx-language-association-forum.44760.n6.nabble.com/Z-OS-System-REXX-SYSREXX-tp54.html
To start a new topic under Mainframe Topics, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Rexx Language Association Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Z/OS System REXX / SYSREXX

Rene Jansen
Administrator
I also found these: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4590.pdf
and ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/la/documents/imc/la/mx/news/events/systemz/itso_zhw_2009/zos_v1.11/system_rexx.pdf

René.
TAF

Re: Z/OS System REXX / SYSREXX

TAF
I'm just a bit tardy here, but have you looked at:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r12index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.zos.r12.ieaa800%2Fsystemrexx.htm

(Mind the wrap..)
There are two different System REXX environments supported:

    TSO=NO
    TSO=YES

So... seems as if you can have your cake or eat it.....
TAF

Re: Z/OS System REXX / SYSREXX

TAF
Just looked at the title of the reference I gave.  It's the authorized assembler guide that you already mentioned.  Sorry for the circular reference.

Re: Z/OS System REXX / SYSREXX

Chip Davis
Administrator
Yeah, I thought that document was a strange place for it too, until I
tried to think of a better place.

It does appear to be the TSO REXX engine with some different hooks and
able to run in a non-TSO address space with authorization.

Thanks,

-Chip-