where is everyone?

David Holiday
Hi all,

I've recently discovered that my beloved Rexx programming language has an open-source derivative (NetRexx) that appears to be in active development. This is quite fortuitous as I'm about to start a large software project in Java and it would be nice to obfuscate away some of the wonkier bits of the Java programming language and focus on what will assuredly be a daunting programming task. Before I do, though, I'm wondering where the other NetRexx-ers are? The forums on the various NetRexx sites all seem to be largely dead. Who is managing the project and where does the community congregate? If I do decide to write the entire application in NetRexx, I know I'm going to run into trouble here and there and it would be nice to be able to ask the community for help. If there is no community, I might as well write the thing in stock Java because at least with Java I can get help via Stack Overflow, Oracle support forums, code ranch, etc.

so where is everyone?

Re: where is everyone?

Chip Davis
Administrator
Welcome, David.

There is indeed an active NetRexx developer group, headed by René
Jansen, the President of RexxLA.

Go here:

to subscribe to the discussion group.

HTH,

-Chip Davis-

On 6/20/2014 8:17 PM David Holiday [via Rexx Language Association
Forum] said:

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently discovered that my beloved Rexx programming language has
> an open-source derivative (NetRexx) that appears to be in active
> development. This is quite fortuitous as I'm about to start a large
> software project in Java and it would be nice to obfuscate away some
> of the wonkier bits of the Java programming language and focus on what
> will assuredly be a daunting programming task. Before I do, though,
> I'm wondering where the other NetRexx-ers are? The forums on the
> various NetRexx sites all seem to be largely dead. Who is managing the
> project and where does the community congregate? If I do decide to
> write the entire application in NetRexx, I know I'm going to run into
> trouble here and there and it would be nice to be able to ask the
> community for help. If there is no community, I might as well write
> the thing in stock Java because at least with Java I can get help via
> Stack Overflow, Oracle support forums, code ranch, etc.
>
> so where is everyone?

> <
> NAML
> <
http://rexx-language-association-forum.44760.x6.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: where is everyone?

David Holiday
w00t - t/y!

Re: where is everyone?

IBM052295
Me too. what a coincidence!
I was planning to begin a big project, but was reluctant to learn the Java syntax.
What a nice surprise to discover NetRexx   :-)    (I have been programming in REXX (mainframe) for years...)
While reading throughout the documentation (3.03 GA) I find myself continuously (quietly) saying:  yes, Yes, YES !

Regards,
Gus